Join our growing team working to transform STEM education in Ghana!
AVAILABLE POSITION: STEM Training Officer
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Fixed Term (Full Time)
EMPLOYMENT DURATION: 10 Months (With high possibility of renewal after pilot)
WORK STATION: North Legon, Accra
JOB OVERVIEW: We seek a highly motivated and experienced SHS STEM Curriculum Training Officer to join our team. The primary responsibility of this role is to visit robotics and engineering teachers in various senior high STEM institutions to provide guidance, coaching, and mentoring in delivering hands-on lessons effectively based on the new SHS STEM curricula. The ideal candidate should have a strong background in robotics, engineering, and education or related fields, along with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
JOB PURPOSE: Train, coach, mentor and support teachers to implement the new robotics and engineering curricula being trialed in seven (7) schools across the country using effective coaching practices within PEN’s coaching framework.
KEY FUNCTIONS AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
• Conduct visits to robotics and engineering teachers to assess their current teaching methods and classroom environments
• Develop personalized coaching plans for each teacher based on their specific needs and goals
• Provide hands-on training sessions to teachers on implementing interactive and engaging lessons in robotics and engineering
• Mentor teachers in utilising educational robotics kits, tools, and software to enhance student learning experiences, ensuring use of hands-on pedagogies
• Collaborate with teachers to design and adapt curriculum materials to align with educational standards and learning objectives.
• Leverage locally-available materials to design low-cost activities that achieve the curricular objectives in robotics and engineering
• Offer guidance on classroom management techniques to facilitate effective hands-on learning experiences.
• Support teachers in integrating interdisciplinary approaches and project-based learning methodologies into their robotics and engineering lessons.
• Stay updated on emerging trends, technologies, and best practices in robotics and engineering education.
• Prepare and deliver presentations or workshops at educational conferences and professional development events.
• Collaborate with school administrators and educational stakeholders to advocate for the importance of robotics and engineering education.
REPORTING: The SHS STEM Curriculum Training Officer shall report directly to the Programs Manager.
• Bachelor's degree in robotics, engineering, computer science, education, or a related field. Master's degree is more preferred.
• Proven experience in teaching or training robotics and engineering concepts at the pre-tertiary level.
• Strong knowledge of educational robotics platforms (e.g., Lego Mindstorms EV3, Arduino, TinkerCAD), programming languages (e.g., Scratch, Python), and engineering principles.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to convey complex concepts in a clear and understandable manner.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with teachers, administrators, and other stakeholders.
• Experience in designing and delivering professional development workshops or training sessions.
• Familiarity with educational standards and frameworks related to STEM education in Ghana.
• Ability to travel to various educational institutions within the assigned regions in Ghana i.e. Greater Accra, Eastern, Western North, Ashanti, Brong Ahafo and Northern Regions
• Creative problem-solving skills and a passion for promoting hands-on learning experiences in robotics and engineering education.
LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT: Professional command of the English language is a minimum requirement.
CORE VALUES AND MOTIVATION:
● Strong ability to operate in the digital environment, including mastery of Zoom as a training platform, Google Classroom, Slack and Trello.
● Strong oral and written communication skills.
● Strong organizational and administrative skills
● Creativity and innovation to find effective solutions.
● Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relationships while respecting a diversity of people and being sensitive to their needs.
● Ability to establish clear goals and to achieve desired results consistent with agreed strategies and targets.
● Ability to analyse data and all other sources of information, to break them into component parts, patterns and relationships and demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system.
● Applicable skills in the use of data tools such as Microsoft Excel and others.
● Ability to defensively drive with a valid driver’s license.
Interested applicants should send their Resume/CV, Cover Letter and other supporting documents to the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Email subject MUSTbe [VACANCY POSITION_YOUR NAME]. For example: [STEM Curriculum TRAINING OFFICER_RITA ABBEY]
DEADLINE: Friday, 23rd February, 2024.
(Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, so submit your application as early as possible. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. Applications received after the deadline may not be considered.)
ABOUT PRACTICAL EDUCATION NETWORK (PEN)
PEN’s mission is to improve STEM learning outcomes in the Ghana education system by building teacher capacity. The teacher training programme PEN provides is infused with MIT-style, learning-by-doing to enable hands-on science regardless of resource constraints. PEN offers a series of workshops where Ghanaian STEM teachers learn, design, and share hands-on activities that complement the national curriculum and are created from low-cost and locally available materials. Over the last 5 years, PEN has trained 9,000 teachers, 100 local-level trainers, and reached more than two million students in this experiential approach. PEN’s partners include MIT, Ashesi University, ExxonMobil Exploration & Production Ghana (Deepwater) Ltd, Ghana Education Service, Ghana Association of Science Teachers and others.